Small vent...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Small vent...

Post  teegee on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 am

Grr... some people!!!

We have been away this weekend on a trip to Hamilton to see family, and on our way back we stopped in at McDonald's in Bulls so the kids could get a run around in the play area. We were the first kids there, and about 5 mins later a lady arrived with a boy and a girl around 3 years olds (I think twins). All the kids were playing ok, but then the boy cried out - it seems that DD1 bit him Embarassed she is doing that a bit recently Embarassed so I made her say sorry, and repeated that she shouldn't bite - of course, she just repeats what I say Rolling Eyes so there is no way of knowing if she "gets it" - the lady got all uppity, saying "she is old enough to know better" - I said "well, actually, she is autistic, so she doesn't know better!" and she shut up.

What really gets me though, is that, she had NO way of knowing how old DD1 is! Just because she was taller that her children, doesn't mean that she was older! We had just spent the weekend, with family, and one of the little girls there is 3 next month, and she was the size of my 4 year old - who is not little - so there is no way people should make assumptions about ages of kids just based on their size! Not to mention all the other factors involved!!!

Oh, and when I told DH later, he said that he saw that boy trying to push DD1 out of the way and he was wagging his finger in her face - and with DD1, that is just an invitation to be bitten Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil (a few kids at her school, play chicken by putting their finger up near her mouth and see if they can take it away before she bites it - sometimes they win, sometimes she wins... )

Anyway - that makes me feel a bit better getting it all out!!!

teegee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Small vent...

Post  Jeshiko on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 am

*Hugs*
That is so true about the size thing! Mikko has a friend with ASD (hi if you are reading B!) and he is a big guy for 3 almost 4 - bigger than my 5.5 year old and I imagine that it does make things slightly more complicated. Luckily he is a gentle wee thing.

My eldest bit someone at school this term for the same reason - getting in his face, and he doesn't have ASD Embarassed

eta: do the teachers at your daughter's school know about the finger game? I would imagine it might need to be discouraged Laughing
Jeshiko
Admin

View user profile http://www.vikingbrosinkilts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  teegee on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:54 am

Yeah, the teachers know - they told me! And they do discourage it - but also, they tell the kids, if you put your finger near her mouth, expect it to be bitten!! Laughing

teegee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hismama on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Aww I'm sorry you had to have such an experience. Some people just suck! It makes me nervous to take my son out in public when I know there will be other children around. He just doesn't understand why they don't see thing just the way he does!
We went to a new ECE earlier in the year where the supervision wasn't great. My son was playing nicely so I turned my back for a minute to put some other toys away when an older child came and took the toy away from him. He retaliated by biting. It was wrong, but the teachers there went totally overboard and had my son in tears and so upset by the whole thing. He just wanted his toy back and when his words weren't responded to...he bit! Of course the older child was hurt, but otherwise has no reprimand over his behaviour. I was not happy! Suffice to say we did not return! (sorry for post-jacking!!)

hismama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top